People may hear your words, but they feel your attitude.
~ John C. Maxwell
Do you know that language spoken with the ears helps you strengthen your relationships with others?
If you want to take advantage of this, then before you speak, take time to think about how your words will be heard. Think about how your words will make others feel.
When you think of your part of a conversation in those terms, your words become softer, sweeter, most positive. You remember that your point of view is just that, your opinion. You understand the messages that will be heard in addition to the facts you convey.
By choosing your words for how they will be heard, you can:
- Put people at ease
- Neutralize others’ strong emotional reactions
- Keep your composure and remain in control when angrily confronted
- Tailor your communications to gain acceptance of your ideas
- Offer satisfaction
- Avoid rejection by others
- Create connections so that your requests are almost always granted
- Open the door for others to see your point of view.
When you choose your words on purpose and speak them with confidence and in a reassuring tone, you will realize the best communications results possible.
You can’t hear a word and just hear it as
raw sound; it always evokes an associated
meaning and emotion in the brain.
~ Steven Pinker
Your Personal Appraisal
- Do you listen for areas of agreement and opportunities to connect?
- Do you put yourself in the other person’s shoes?
- Are your words chosen to reassure and satisfy others?
Life Is Honest, Open and True: To be most effective in your relationships, listen to what you say and how you say it. Today, take time to:
- Make statements that are kind as well as honest.
- Be open to finding new ways to express yourself that are contrary to your current response habits.
- Hear how others make true connections with you by the words they use.
Do you struggle with understanding how your words will be heard by others? Tell me about it in the comments or tweet me @lifeishotblog with the hash tag #LifeIsHOT!